Inspiration and DIY
- 2017 Insiders Tile Trends Forecast
- 3-Tile Patterns for Unique Floor Tile
- 3 Trendy Tiling Tips for 2017
- 3 Unexpected Ways to Use Glass Tile
- 4 Ways to Use Blue Glass Tile to Create a Dramatic Effect
- 5 Ways to Increase Your Property Value with Tile
- 4 Pantone “Color of the Year” Tiles for Your 2016 Remodel
- 6 Reasons Why Concrete Look Tile Is Pet Friendly
- 10 Unique Tile Designs for Your Home
- Accent Tiling Tips for Modernizing Your Space
- Get Creative with Border Tiles to Add Personal Touches around Your Home
- Home Improvement: 4 Reasons to Replace Tile around Your Home
- House Decorating Ideas: New Tile Offers a Great Return on Investment
- How do You Like Them Organic Apples?
- How a Foyer, Bathroom, or Kitchen Makeover Can Help Sell Your Home
- The Latest Glass Mosaic Tile Design Trends
- Let Your Personality Show in Your Home Décor
- Looking at Tiles for Sale? How to Find Colors and Materials That Inspire You
- Mosaic Tile and Accent Tile Can Add a Springtime Pop of Color
- Small Living Room Ideas: Adding Grandeur with Tile
- A Tile Masquerade
- Tile Patterns Using 2 Different Floor Tiles
- The Versatility of Cement-Look Floor Tiles
- Tiling Tips: How to Ensure Success With an Interior Designer
- Top 4 Benefits of Tile Floors
- Trends from the Big Apple: Flooring and Countertop
- Use Glass Tile and Recycled Materials for an Eco-Friendly Home Design
- Using Natural Stone Flooring to Create a Modern Look
- Using Wood, Stone, and Concrete Tiles to Enhance Your Decor
- Using Glass Mosaic Tile to Add Personality to Your Home
- Update Your Living Room with Mosaic Tile and More
- Updating Your Fireplace Tile: How to Choose the Right Tile
- Will the Wood-Look Tile Trend Stick?
- 3 Ways to Use Color Tile to Brighten Your Home
- 5 Ways to Include Concrete Tiles in Your Home Design
- Tiny House Style
- Get Concrete Flooring without the Hassle
- Tips for Using Wall Tile to Make Your Entryway Stand Out
- Use Glass Mosaic Tile to Add Personality to Your Walls
- Adding Blue and Green Glass Tile to Your Space
- Tile Flooring Tips for the Home Office
- Glass Mosaic Tile: Transform Your Decor Style from Drab to Fab
- How to Use Glass Tile to Create a Modern Look
- Floor Tile and More: How to Think Like a Designer
- Match Your Tile Floors with Today's Design Trends
- Glass Mosaic Tile: Tips and Ideas for Using It in Your Home
- Creative Tile Accent Wall Ideas for Your Home
- Accent Wall Ideas for Kids' Rooms
- The Organic Modern Living Room: How Tile Fits into the Design
- Home and Kitchen Remodel Ideas for a Victorian Look
- Fashion Meets Function: Using Pavers in Your Home's Design
- Trendy Tile Foyer Ideas to Impress Your Guests
- Tile Design: Combining Form and Functionality
- 5 Tile Entryway Ideas That Will Make a Lasting Impression
- 4 Trendy Stone-Look Tile Flooring Options to Consider
- 4 Ways to Use Wall Tiles in Your Living Room and Dining Room
- How to Design a Modern Living Room Using Tile
- Tile Flooring Ideas for Your Dining Room, Living Room, and Hallways
- 4 Flooring Ideas to Transform Your Dining Room
- Make Your Living Room Inspiration Come True with Tile
- 5 Tile Decorating Ideas for Your Winter Cottage
- Living Room Inspiration: Matching Your Tile Floor to Your Wall Paint
- Designing a Marble Fireplace: Choosing the Right Color and Style
- Using Stacked Stone to Add Texture to Your Bedroom
- Home Decorating Ideas: 3 Marble Fireplace Surround Options
- Tile, Good for the Environment!
- 2017 Kitchen Trends
- 5 Ways to Do a Quick Kitchen Makeover
- Anything-But-Boring Kitchen Tile Layouts
- Backsplash Ideas for Your Kitchen Makeover
- Streamline Your Kitchen for a Busy Lifestyle
- Stay on Trend with Your Kitchen Remodel Using Popular Colors and Tiles
- 4 Unique Ways to Use Kitchen Tiles
- Kitchen Remodel Tips: 5 Ways to Use Your Tax Refund
- How to Use Stacked Stone to Add Style to Your Kitchen
- How to Use a Glass Mosaic Tile Border to Add Personality to Your Kitchen
- From Kitchen Tile Ideas to Space Planning: How to Design Your New Kitchen Like a Pro
- Stylish Kitchen Design Ideas for Any Home
- Mimic Your Kitchen Design in Your Butler's Pantry
- Pairing Your Granite Kitchen Counter with the Right Cabinetry and Backsplash
- Tile Tips and Ideas for White Kitchens
- Kitchen Ideas: Pairing Retro Appliances with Subway Tile
- 3 Inspired Kitchen Island Ideas for Your Kitchen
- Designing a Kitchen Island with Natural Stone Slab
- Kitchen Tile in the Remodeling Process: Tips to Create Appeal and Function
- 3 Small Kitchen Remodeling Projects to Tackle
- Kitchen Remodeling: 3 Tips to Enlarge and Enhance Your Space
- 5 Ways to Use Kitchen Tile Flooring to Create a Contemporary Look
- Trends in Contemporary Kitchens: Increased Function and More
- Kitchen Tile Flooring: Why Wood-Look Tile Is Trending
- 3 Stone Backsplash Ideas for Your Kitchen
- How to Use Black Subway Tile in Your Kitchen Design
- Using Mosaic Tiles to Liven up a Dated Kitchen
- 2016 Kitchen Trends
- 2017 Bathroom Trends
- The 4 Best Tiles for a Water Resistant Bathroom
- 6 Simple Bathroom Makeovers
- Bathroom Storage Ideas: Maximize Your Space
- Modern Bathroom Tile Ideas
- 6 Homes That Stick to a Theme
- Making the Most of a Small Bathroom Space
- The Zen of Bathroom Remodels
- Bathroom Design Ideas: From Demo to Done
- Bathroom Tiling 101: Glass Subway Tile, Measurement Tips, and Everything in Between
- How to Design a Modern Bathroom
- Bathroom Design Ideas That Use Tile in Creative Ways
- Bathroom Wall Tiles Add Design, Drama, and Dimension to Your Project
- Choosing Shower Tile to Create a Custom Bathroom Design
- Shower Tile Ideas to Transform Any Bathroom
- Marble Bathroom Flooring: 4 Factors to Consider
- Let Bathroom Tiles Be the Foundation of Your Next Remodel
- Bathroom Design Ideas: Frame Your Mirror with Tile
- Neutral Bathroom Remodel Ideas
- 4 Ways to Use a Marble Slab in Your Master Bathroom
- Master Bathroom Ideas: 5 Ways to Make Your Space Your Own
- Master Bathroom Ideas: Design a Ski-Lodge-Inspired Space
- Using Granite for Your Bathroom Vanity
- Bathroom Remodel Ideas Featuring Decorative Accent Tiles
- Choosing Tile for Your Shower Wall: How to Stay Unique and Practical
- 3 Unique Bathroom Flooring Ideas
- Small Bathroom Flooring Ideas Using Large-Format Tiles
- Bathroom Remodel Ideas for Design Consistency
- How to Clean Bathroom Tile before Your Guests Arrive
- How to Clean Bathroom Tile Safely
- Designing the Perfect Walk-In Shower with Tile
- Designing Tiled Showers for Your Guest Bathroom Makeover
- How to Design the Walk-In Shower of Your Dreams
- Top Notch Bathroom Designs: Planning the Perfect Master En Suite
- 10 Top Tips for Getting Bathroom Tile Right
- Reinvent the Traditional Tub Surround with Tile
- Bathroom Designs and Beyond: How to Tackle the Planning Process
- Bathroom Designs: Pairing a Claw-Foot Tub with the Right Tile
- Shower Designs Featuring Large-Format Tiles
- Simple Bathroom Design Ideas to Refresh Your Space
- 2016 Bathroom Trends
- 3 Reasons Granite is Still the Best Choice for Countertops
- 3 Reasons to Add a Granite Countertop to Your Kitchen
- All About Natural Quartzite Countertops
- Colorful Granite Countertop for Any Design
- How to Clean and Seal Granite Countertops
- Granite Countertops at Daltile
- Granite Countertop Finishes
- Granite Countertops: 5 Distinctive Features
- Installing a Granite Countertop: Choosing the Perfect Finish
- Natural Quartzite FAQ
- Robust. Beautiful. Solid Countertops.
- Select the Perfect Edge for Your Granite Countertops
- Use Tile Countertops to Create Any Kitchen Style
- Using Quartz Countertops to Transform Your Basement Bar
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Granite Tile Countertops
- 7 Ways to Decorate with White Granite Countertops
- 4 Stylish Ideas for Kitchen Countertops
- 3 Types of Countertops for the At-Home Chef
- Using Tile Countertops to Create a Modern Kitchen Design
- Get Modern Quartz Countertops with ONE™ Quartz
- Granite and ONE Quartz® Countertops: An Objective Look
- The Latest Solid Surface Countertops: New Popular Stone and Stone-Look Options
- Stone Countertops: Choosing a Decorative Edge
- Add Black Granite Countertops to Your Home Design
- 3 Backsplash Ideas to Modernize Your Vacation Home
- 7 Ways to Do Backsplash for Granite Countertops
- Backsplash Ideas for a Country-Style Kitchen
- Backsplash Ideas to Enhance Your Kitchen or Bath
- Backsplash Ideas to Help Create Your Dream Kitchen
- Functional and Gorgeous Backsplash Ideas
- How a Metal Backsplash Can Modernize Your Space
- How to Use a Stainless Steel Backsplash to Modernize Your Kitchen
- Need Ideas for Your Mosaic Tile Backsplash?
- Which Tile Backsplash Material Should You Choose?
- How to Install a Tile Backsplash: Designing the Right Ceramic Tile Layout
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash in Your Guest Bath
- Designing a Travertine Backsplash
- 5 Benefits to Installing Bathroom Shower Tile Yourself
- 5 Tips for Optimal Tile Installation
- Ceramic Tile Installation Is Easier Than You Think
- Home Improvement Tips: The Importance of the Backer Board
- How to Grout Tile
- How to Install Shower Tiles Like a Pro
- How to Remove Glass Tile Safely
- How to Install Wall Tile Yourself
- Installing Floor Tile
- Installing Large Format Tile
- Installing Wall and Countertop Tile
- Installing Wall Tiles to Modernize Your Space: A Guide
- Installing Your Own Granite Tile? Here's a Rundown of the Tools You Need
- Tiling Tips for the High-Tech Home
- Tiling Tips: How to Mix Tile, Hardwood, and Carpeting
- Using a Tile Cutter: Tips and Tricks
- Tile Installation: Using Environmentally Friendly Tiles and Materials
- Drilling Into Tiles: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Tiling Tips: Creative Uses for Leftover Tile
- Subway Tile
Wood Look Tile
- 4 Benefits of Wood-Looking Tile
- 4 Myths about Wood-Grain Tile
- Faux Wood Flooring: How to Choose and Use This Smart Tile Product
- Reclaimed Wood Tile
- Tile That Looks Like Wood: A New Flooring Option
- Update Your Bathroom Flooring with Wood-Look Tile
- Using Tile That Looks Like Wood: From Rustic to Romantic
- Using Wood-Look Tile to Spruce Up Your Home's Interior Design
- Wood Effects Tile: An Alternative to Hardwood Flooring
- Wood Look Tile Flooring
- Faux Wood Flooring Ideas for Every Room
- Home Decorating Ideas: Using Wood-Look Tile in Wet Areas
Pool & Outdoors
- 3 Ways Granite Slabs Can Update Your Patio
- 4 Ways to Add a Flagstone Patio to Your Summer Home
- Choosing Outdoor Tile: 4 Things to Consider
- Create a Flagstone Patio and More: 4 Unique Design Ideas
- Outdoor Tiles: How to Use Glass Tile
- Patio Tiles: 3 Steps to Prepare Your Patio for Summer
- Pool Tile Update: Bringing Life Back into Your Vacation Home
- Update Your Backyard Oasis: Pool Tile and Other Trends
- Use Patio Tiles to Create the Perfect Outdoor Oasis
- Using Pool Tile to Transform Your Tired In-Ground Pool
- Choosing the Right Pool Tile for Your Deck
Natural Stone Tile
- 3 Reasons to Upgrade with Limestone Tile in Your Summer House
- Bring the Outdoors in with Natural Stone Tile
- Granite, Marble, and Limestone Tile: 3 Stone Options to Consider
- Granite Slabs: Fine Art for Your Kitchen
- Natural Stone Tiles: 3 Things You Should Know
- Natural Stone Tile vs. Natural Stone Facade: What's the Difference?
- Polished, Flamed, or Honed Granite? A Guide to Different Finishes
- Elegant Living Room Design Ideas Incorporating a Range of Marble Finishes
- Modern Style Tips for Marble Flooring
- 4 Marble Flooring Options for a Classic Home
- 3 Reasons Why Limestone Tile Flooring Is Right for You
- How to Design with Ubatuba Granite
- Use Santa Cecilia Granite to Blend Nature into Your Design
- Design Ideas for Using White Granite in Your Home
- 4 Common White Granite Questions Answered
- Use Santa Cecilia Granite to Transform Your Home
- How to Feature Gold Granite Vanity Tops
- Tips for Adding Black Granite to Your Kitchen, Bath, and Living Room
Photo features Pecan 6 x 36 field tile.
2017 Insider's Guide to Tile Trends
Daltile is looking ahead to 2017 with plans well under way for the tile that fits right in with the hottest trends but is timeless enough to keep your bathroom, kitchen, and everywhere else looking great for years to come.
Ciao! I'm Laura Grilli, director of Sr. Product Development Manager at Daltile, and I'm here to give you the inside scoop on what's coming up in tile trends in 2017.
Trend #1 Wood-Look Tile Is Here to Stay
Wood-look is the largest selling category in the tile industry right now. It looks more authentic than ever and offers unmatched durability. Wood-look tile isn't going anywhere. It's now a standard offering rather alongside some of our best-loved tile, but that's just the beginning. As far as design and style, wood-look goes with everything from rustic to the cleanest contemporary and it is the tie that binds different styles together in an eclectic whole. It can do an urban loft as easily as it can do a traditional kitchen.
What's new in wood this year? Glad you asked!
Photo features Deep Walnut 6 x 36 field tile.
Sizes & Shapes
Look for wood grain tile in both more traditional and completely surprising shapes and sizes this year. Shorter, narrower planks that were popular in the mid-century modern era are back. In fact, Daltile is introducing a 4 x 28 (our narrowest) plank early in the year. This tile looks so elegant and is perfectly suited to herringbone patterns. On the other hand, the planks also keep getting bigger—we currently have tile up to 60 inches long! The natural wood flooring market is producing larger planks and with new advances in tile technology and our newer factories, we are able to match their offerings step for step.
Wood looks in brick sizes, hexagons of all sizes, even mosaics will become the new favorite use of wood in design in 2017.
Exotic Species, Old Favorites
2017 is a year that embraces both new and traditional. Designers still love the clean, simple look of Scandinavian styles and the hottest wood look this year will probably be inspired by Larch wood. It's a clean, tight-veined wood with plenty of contrast that complements the smooth, contemporary style making its way across the world.
Also look for traditional, rustic oak looks in tile this year. Chipped edges, saw marks, hand scraped, and chatter marks are the trend standard for traditional style in 2017. Tile technology is able to authentically replicate these looks with synchronized graphic printing and structures that add the character that make this style so loved.
Wood-look tile finishes making an appearance in design this year will lean toward innovations of centuries past. Look for vaporized wood-looks, aka, wire brushed, that have a more pronounced grain and texture and ceruse looks with their whitewashed effect.
The emphasis with these new finishes is aimed at bringing out the rich grain and textures of the wood. You'll be amazed how well the tile industry replicates these finishes!
Photo features Oak Trail XT 6 x 36 field tile on the floor.
Trend #2 Seamless Outdoor-Indoor Living
Open-formats have already taken in the patio and the trend for indoor-to-outdoor transitional living will continue growing. Tile will assist in this trend by offering more products that can be used both indoors and outdoors. Daltile introduced Saddle Brook XT, an outdoor-safe wood look, in 2016 and 2017 will see more options for this type of seamless living. Another successful product is Slate Attaché with the same outdoor technology and easy cleanability.
The biggest trend in indoor/outdoor tile products in 2017 will be 2 cm pavers. This is about twice the thickness of regular tile. These large, thick pavers already come in several stone-looks and keep your eyes open for more option coming on the market soon. Wood, stone, and sophisticated cement interpretations will be popular in the kitchen and moving out onto the patio. This can be installed directly on gravel, sand, or dirt.
Photo features Brickwork Studio 4 x 8 in a brick-joint pattern on the wall and Yorkwood Manor™ Birchtree on the floor.
Trend #3 Masonry Interpretations
Brick was a favorite for rustic or industrial kitchen backsplashes last year and the masonry trend is just going to grow. In 2017, it will begin to embrace some interesting interpretations like brick sizes and shapes in different looks like wood or concrete.
Look for subtle surfacing on cement interpretations and mashups of concrete and metal. Italian craft cementine will continue to make a comeback in tile this year and will be a great option for trendy commercial and retail spaces.
Classic ceramics will also make a comeback in 2017. Terra cotta and traditional adobe brick type colors and looks will make an appearance on fireplaces, patio walls, and urban industrial backsplashes. Masonry, like wood, just goes well with everything and the more eclectic styles of 2016 and 2017 will use lots of both.
Photo features Brushed Stainless Steel 1 x 1 Penny Round mosaic.
Trend #4 Metal & Textiles
Tile with metal or textile looks and finishes are the big news for 2017. Metal has been growing as a favorite for a few years. The color offerings are getting better (gun metal and pewter rather than just stainless) and finishes are now available in matte or light polishes. Metal-look tile is more authentic yet also offers styles that you can't get anywhere else like metal-influenced concrete looks.
Textile-look tile is always around and is a great fallback. But in 2017, they will breathe life into design. Linens, tweeds, tartans, and patterns will all make an appearance. You'll see these in concrete and stone mashups too.
Photo features Chenille White Limestone
Trend #5 Stone
I couldn't talk about trends without stopping to mention marble. White marble still takes the cake but 2017 will see many more colored marbles gaining popularity in design. Grey, beige, black, and brown marble are hot contenders with classic white marble.
Another favorite stone for 2017 will be anything monochromatic with minimal movement or graphics like limestone and monochromatic slate. Bluestone (a limestone) will be big because of its bluish tone. Blue will be everywhere this year.
Stone in multiple sizes, shapes, and finishes will be in high demand as with ceramic tile.
Photo features Carrara White Marble
Trend #6 Wall Tile
Yes, wall tile is still huge. Look for even more feature walls, accent walls, and tile on the walls in general in 2017. Bold colors, especially blue, will be the latest favorite on the wall. Textures will also continue to be a hit. 3D tile is a perfect fit for the wall and 2017 will see it in abundance. Geometric shapes that pop off the wall, natural leaf shapes that add Zen, and linear structures that are more than just visual will be the big thing on the walls this year.
Tile on the wall will get bigger, literally. From large-format 8 x 24, 12 x 24, and even including 24 x 48 tiles to 70 inch porcelain slabs, commercial designers will love using big tile on vast walls.
2017 will be an exciting year for tile and design. Subscribe to our blog to keep up-to-date on the latest in tile trends.